How to use Android Phone as Webcam in PC: It’s very occasional for most of the people to make a video call on MSN, Skype or Google+ hangout. & you will need a webcam in order to start a video call. It is very good if you already have a Webcam, but we are pretty sure that if you have one you are not reading this. So, why to spend money for a separate webcam or to purchase a new one when you can easily use your android phone’s camera as webcam?
This process involves streaming video from your phone to any particular port on your Computer & having a System driver software find it & provide it as a webcam video to any application or software that needs webcam.
Don’t afraid with the details. This is actually a very simple process & there are two ways to do it, here we go:
1. Use Android Phone as Webcam using Wi-Fi:
In this method, your phone’s video will be streamed live & will be available to your Computer applications via Wi-Fi. This is the easiest & very flexible way to do it.
Both your computer & your android phone must be connected to the same network via Wi-Fi.
- Connect your phone & computer to the Internet using a wireless router.
- Otherwise connect your Android phone to the pc internet using virtual router (Only for windows 7)
- Or connect Android phone to PC with a shared Wi-Fi network (requires rooted phone with ad-hoc networking enabled).
Once your phone is connected to the same PC network via Wi-Fi, follow steps:
- From android play store of your phone, download & install IP Webcam app.
- Open app & you will get the configuration screen. In this you can set the options for ports, sounds, video quality & username / password.
- Default options are good, so scroll & click on “Start server” option.
- IP Webcam will now open your camera & start streaming the video to a particular IP & port. Click on “How do I connect” button displaying on top left & choose “I’m using Wi-Fi router” to get this IP address & port, now you will get something like “http://10.42.43.89:8080“.
- Note this IP address & type this in your PC’s web browser. You will get a page with links for various ways in which you can use your new webcam. From that list, you need to use either of the two links.
Connect to PC for use with Skype and other video chats on Windows.
- Connect to PC for use with Skype and other video chats on Ubuntu GNU/Linux
2. Use Android Phone as Webcam using USB.
For USB mode, we require an app called DroidCam. Hence the earlier IP Webcam app was more popular, it’s more or less limited to Wi-Fi connections especially for the windows platform. So, let’s go into how to configure your android device as a webcam via USB:
- Turn USB Debugging mode ON (Settings -> Applications -> Developer Option -> USB debugging).
- Connect the device to your computer via USB (don’t select storage mode if the phone asks while connecting USB).
- Download DroidCam app from play store & install it and then open it on your phone. It will show a “Starting server” message.
- Download & install the client application in your computer from Dev47Apps.
- Start the DroidCam client and choose “USB” option.
That’s it. Now you can use android phone as webcam on your Windows PC and also stream any kind of videos.Hope you liked the article.Please share your Comments and Views below.